1. Material: Check the material the diaper is made of. It could be either disposable diaper or a re-usable one. Check whether it is synthetic cotton. The most commonly used material is cotton. There are diapers made of wool too. Even though many other materials are used in the manufacture of disposable diaper cotton is the primary one. Cotton diapers offer the comfort and reduce chances of skin irritation. For tropical countries like India cotton diapers are the best choice.
2. Liquid absorption rate: The next factor to check is the liquid absorption rate of the diaper. This rate is important as the liquid must be absorbed faster as it should not cause dampness on the skin of the baby.
3. Leakages: Diapers must not only be able to absorb the liquid but also prevent any leakages . Leaking when the diaper is full is from the thigh cuff of the baby is a normal scenario but leaking thoroughly or often before is indicating a damaged diaper. If the whole lot or pack is with this defect then it is obviously a sub-standard diaper.
4. Blowouts: A diaper blowout happens when either the diaper is full or the poop escapes the diapers too fast before the diaper could even absorb it. Breastfeed babies are prone to more blowouts. Blowouts are completely normal for babies. Not all babies blowout.
5. Use of excessive dyes: Diapers without dyes are best but marks are necessary to know which side is the front one and which is the rear side. Also commercially to showcase diapers companies offer them in different patterns that require use of dyes. Using plant based dyes are okay when compared to harsh dyes.
6. Use of Fragrance: Use of fragrance on diapers serves commercial purpose only. Some parents relate the fragrance to the diapers being fresh or new. Mild fragrance on diapers is not going to cause harm.
7. Eco-friendly: When referring a diaper as eco-friendly not only it should be bio-degradable but also means using sustainable materials in its manufacturing. Disposable baby diapers have become an essential item in every parenting and thus it is pertinent to check whether this essential item is bio-degradable one.
8. Cruelty free: Just like the diapers are supposed to be bio-degradable it is un-debatedly important to check whether any test on animals are made during the manufacturing process or during R&D.
9. Stretchy: It is important that the diapers are stretchy and is not uncomfortable for the baby wearing it. Wide waist straps or bands and the thigh cuffs must be stretchy without losing the grip as well.
10. Capacity to retain: Every diaper has a said capacity to retain fluids and the capacity must be cogent with the baby’s excretion levels. Not only is this related to the level of wetness surfaced by the diaper the dampness it may create is also to be checked.
11. Weight: Choose the right size of the diaper based upon the weight of your baby. Loosely fit diapers might not serve the purpose as liquids may start leaking because the essential nature of diaper is to wrap softly around the waist of the baby and around the thigh cuff.
12. Umbilical cord cut out notch: When it comes to selecting the best diaper for your newborn baby the umbilical cord cut out notch on the diaper is the most essential feature to lookout. The belly button for any new born is so delicate and this feature is a must have in all diapers designed for newborn.
13. Breathability: This is the most primary feature for every diaper. Even though the necessary job of a diaper is to collect liquid excreted from babies that doesn’t mean a compromise on the well being of the baby can be had. A diaper with breathability is another feature for lookout by a parent or caretaker. Diapers should allow air circulation without compromising on other aspects.
14. Fun prints: As already stated diapers are essential item and it has kind of evolved almost into a baby clothing. Looking out for fun prints on them is just fun.
15. Thin and soft: When choosing baby diapers it essentially must be soft and more particularly thin and not heavy. Thin diapers have almost become a standards and is now an indication of the state of art manufacturing.
16. Grip Style: Look out for the type of grip the diaper would offer. Whether it is a tape type or the pant type. Whatever be the type the diapers should not cause excessive grip marks. Grip marks depend both on the size chosen and the grip style chosen.
17. Number of sizes available: Check out the number of sizes a brand offers as it is an indirect indication on the brand’s sensitivity to the needs of the market.
18. Certifications: Checkout for certifications for the brand from reputed organisations as those are the brands that tend to be following international guidelines and it is an assurance and indication to to you as a buyer that those brands subject themselves to constant audit, quality check and upgradation.
19. Cost per diaper: The necessity for the invention of baby diapers could be for comfortable parenting coupled with sanitary reasons but their mass production is profit. The cost per diaper is to be worked out so as to assess as to how much is shelled out per diaper with the above said essentail features.